Friday, December 21, 2012

The Crown Jewels

As I was spending hours on end looking at the millions of things on Pinterest, I came across a jewelry organizer that I really really wanted....it was PERFECT! and FINALLY something stylish that I could organize all my necklaces, earrings, and bracelets without them being tossed under the sink (which probably explains why I don't wear a lot of my jewelry....out of sight, out of mind)
So I then spent more hours upon hours looking for one that I would like and wouldn't cost me a million dollars. Well, no such luck! I found some that were similar, but none that I was really attracted to....so I guess as the saying goes "If you want something done right, you've gotta do it yourself"....and I did!

The great thing about making it yourself, you can be as eclectic as you want....I went and bought all the supplies at Hobby Lobby (my favorite store for ANYTHING). 
Here is a list of things you will need:

1. Wooden Frame...I bought a 12X12 frame

2. All different types of knobs and holders that you would want to put on there...I love the eclectic look so I got all different kinds, but if you like simple you could get all the same. The great thing about this, is that you can make it however you want!

3. Some type of material to put on the back to hold your earrings. I personally used something more stylish (lace) instead of what looks like chicken wire as used in the picture above. But you could use whatever you like. For the lace I made sure I got enough to layer it a few times. (I bought 3 ft worth for 2 frames).
4. Spray paint in whatever color you want your frame to be. I used grey. (note: this is optional, if you buy a frame that is already painted then you won't need this)

5.  Drill, drill bit, screws, staple gun (the heavy duty kind), and staples

The first thing I did, was arrange all my knick-knack knobs on my frame so I got an idea of what I wanted before I started. 

Then once I got a general idea I set the knobs aside and painted the frame. Once it was dry I grabbed the knobs and marked the places on the frame where I wanted them. With the drill and drill bit the thickness of the knobs, I drilled the holes where I am going to place my knobs.

After that I put the backing on. Once again I used multiple layers of lace for my backing. So grab your material and place it on the back of the frame with enough material to staple on all sides. I got a little staple crazy and made sure that sucker is going to hold! But you just want to make sure it is sturdy enough. Next just trim off the excess material.
Ta-Da! BEAUTIFUL! 

Almost done.....just add all your gadgets and gizmos! For all the knobs, you just screw them into the drilled holes. But if you have other holders like I do, you will have to screw them into the frame with a drill and wood screws.


I made 2 of them, one for me (left) and one for my sister (right). I cant wait to hang it up and place all my jewels on it!





Here is what it looks like hanging on the wall....

1 comment: