Friday, November 9, 2012

two is better than one

On November 11th my husband and I will celebrate our second year anniversary, boy how the time flies! As some of you know there are certain traditional gifts that you give your significant other based on which year you are celebrating....

1st Year: Paper
2nd Year: Cotton
3rd Year: Leather
4th Year: Flowers (some will say Linen or Silk)
5th Year: Wood
6th Year: Candy
7th Year: Wool or Copper
8th Year: Bronze
9th Year: Pottery
10th Year: Tin

And the list goes on. 

For our first year anniversary (paper) I decided to give my husband season baseball tickets to the University of Florida baseball games. Baseball is his favorite sport and UF is his favorite college team, and lucky us we didn't (at the time) live too far. The first year seemed obvious to me, an easy way to make the traditional gift unique....but what in the world am I going to do with cotton?

I searched and searched and searched online for some creative inspiration, something that could help me to figure out a way to make something he would love and something that would be unique. After many hours searching on the internet I came up with nothing!! Everything that I came across, he already had. So I decided I would sleep on it and clear my mind...

Then it hit me! Our sheets were getting old and faded.... and I thought, why not get a new set of really nice sheets that he and I can both use?.....but, that isn't very unique. How could I turn this into something meaningful and special? I thought about getting them monogramed, but my husband isn't the "monogram type." He would have thought it to be cheesy...but I was on the right path....

I started to think about the day we got married, and our last dance together popped in my head. My husband chose the song that we danced to, he chose his favorite "us" song, Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol.  He loved this song, but specifically this particular verse:

"If I lay here,
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me 
And just forget the world?"

This was it! I am going to get our pillows embroidered with this verse..PERFECT!  Now I was on a mission to find sheets, good sheets....then to find someone to make my vision come to life. After running all around town here is the final product...


Each pillow case has the verse embroidered on the cuff of the pillow. On one side it has the first two lines and then on the back side it has the last two. I am so happy with how it turned out! I just hope he likes it too.....

No comments:

Post a Comment